About HT Hughes & Co
As one of the longest established work wear companies still manufacturing in the U.K, we pride ourselves in manufacturing the highest quality overalls, work wear and protective clothing to your specification, and you can rely on our experience to provide you with quality garments and a first class service.
Our Stockport manufacturing facility is very flexible and we can make to order small or large quantities of work wear to meet your requirements, for example matching your company’s corporate colours and logos. We also also have overseas manufacturing capacity which uses exactly the same fabrics, and specifications as our UK unit, assuring you of the best combination of quality and price.
Over the years our business has grown through it’s high reputation and recommendation from customers , many of whom are household names. We are confident that once you become a customer the quality of our products and service will enable us to establish a valuable long term relationship which will further enhance our existing reputation.
We take our responsibility to our employees extremely seriously, and also that of our suppliers. All of the products which are manufactured under the hthughes.com label are manufactured in factories certified to SA8000 or are manufactured in the UK under our strict labour laws. In addition to this we regularly monitor and inspect personally our supplier’s factories.
SA8000 is a global Social Accountability standard for decent working conditions, developed and overseen by Social Accountability International(SAI).
SA8000 covers the following areas of accountability:
- Child Labour: No workers under the age of 15; minimum lowered to 14 for countries operating under the ILO Convention 138 developing-country exception; remediation of any child found to be working
- Forced Labour: No forced labor, including prison or debt bondage labor; no lodging of deposits or identity papers by employers or outside recruiters
- Workplace Safety and Health: Provide a safe and healthy work environment; take steps to prevent injuries; regular health and safety worker training; system to detect threats to health and safety; access to bathrooms and potable water
- Freedom of Association and Right to Collective Bargaining: Respect the right to form and join trade unions and bargain collectively
- Discrimination: No discrimination based on race, caste, origin, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, union or political affiliation, or age; no sexual harassment
- Discipline: No corporal punishment, mental or physical coercion or verbal abuse
- Working hours: Comply with the applicable law but, in any event, no more than 48 hours per week with at least one day off for every seven day period; voluntary overtime paid at a premium rate and not to exceed 12 hours per week on a regular basis; overtime may be mandatory if part of a collective bargaining agreement
- Remuneration: Wages paid for a standard work week must meet the legal and industry standards and be sufficient to meet the basic need of workers and their families; no disciplinary deductions
- Management system for Human Resources: Facilities seeking to gain and maintain certification must go beyond simple compliance to integrate the standard into their management systems and practices.